Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Grass is Greener when Paw Paw Comes Around

For those of you who may not know Jay and I have had quite the challenge with our yard. Now imagine for a moment a front yard with only patches of grass here and there mixed with sand and a grid of green nylon left over from the previous sod. It was lovely let me tell you, but really what was I to do. I tried to rake when the leaves fell down only to find that as I raked the green nylon ripped up from the ground destroying yet even more yard. We have struggled, we have suffered, and maybe even cried; but not anymore thanks to our Paw Jerry and Daddy Jay! Although this is our backyard, the front was much the same. The front yard was a whole lot worse with the addition of a bed of green nylon twine. Jay didn't give up. He worked hard indeed on my grandad's old snapper. Sunglasses, sperries, and I-pod tunes help Daddy Jay as he strived to help our yard look beautiful. I don't have pictures of the renovation so I will have to tell the story of the Hardister Yard Renovation Day! It all started on July 4th. Jay worked hard and got his yard measurements, brought home a CAT machine with mulitple attachments, purchased new sod and only 90 bailes of pinestraw. The next thing I saw was Jay standing on the back of a machine surrounded by a black cloud. He demolished the yard, he demolished himself, and there was black dirt all over the girls feet for the next week. Then Paw Paw came the next morning. The machines went bye bye and Paw Paw introduced Jay to "manual labor." They raked and smoothed the yard to prepare for the new sod that couldn't be delivered on time due to a rain storm. Then the men made a beautiful bed of pinestraw after laying down yards and yards of landscape fabric. After a day's work Paw Paw Jerry said good-bye, but not for long. The sod was delivered a few days later and Paw Paw Jerry was back. He drove all the way to Columbia and was waiting on the sod while Daddy was at work. I had worked the night before and when I woke up I saw our Paw Paw Jerry laying our new sod in our yard. Paw Paw we can't thank you enough for all you did. We love our yard so much we wanted you to see how much! As Lucy would say, "TA DA"Thanks Paw Paw! Now I can practice my soccer skills with Jack!

Thanks Paw Paw! I love playing ball in my new yard-love Jack!Thanks for giving us a little retreat to go and think about things!


And as Ella would say... Thank you Paw Paw for my meadow!

4 comments:

  1. I would love to walk barefoot through your gorgeous new yard! ;) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop it- can't take the meadow comment! Glad the green nylon has vanished from your sight- it was a little strange!! See ya'll Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amy-- My sister sent me the link to your blog a few weeks ago and I have enjoyed seeing pictures of you and your 2 girls! They are precious. The oldest definitely looks like a Rutland! I hope you and Jay are doing well! -Claire Grigsby Yother

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy this is GREAT!! Boys and their yards. Glad Jay got some help. It looks really good!!! I am glad yall are enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete